Thursday, May 27, 2021

Two Plus

 
It was Sunday morning. I noticed 1 tire of my car had a puncture. As it was Sunday, the shops near my apartment were closed. I thought of giving it a try and rode my bike to check that. I found 1 bicycle repair shop open.

Me: 4 wheeler ka puncture lagate ho? (Do you fix puncture of 4 wheeler?)

Mechanic: Haan naa. (Of course.)

Me: Kitna lete ho? (How much do you charge?)

Mechanic: 2+ hai? (Is it two plus?)


I was confused. I could not understand his question. Was he asking about Two Plus? What was that? Is it a mathematical equation? Is it some new technology that I wasn't aware of? Or is he referring to 4 wheeler vehicle as 2+ (after all he is a bicycle mechanic)? Or did he mean something else and I misheard him?

Me: Kya? (What?)

Mechanic: 2+ hai kya? (Is it two plus?)

Now I was not just confused but completely baffled. There was no way that I could ask him to say that again. The engineer within me didn't want to acknowledge that there is something about my car that I was not aware of. More important, the engineer didn't want to look stupid in front of a bicycle mechanic. The safe option was just to say yes. He could anyways figure out after looking at the tire.

Me: Hmm ... haan (Hmm ... yes)

Mechanic: Haan, lagate hain naa. (Yes, we fix the puncture).

And he pointed his finger. I looked in that direction. There was something written in Hindi. I started reading that. 

"Yaha tubeless puncture lagaye jaate hain" (We fix tubeless punctures here).

Oh boy!!! The new technology the mechanic was talking about was not "Two Plus" but  "Tubeless". I nodded my head without any expressions on my face and turned towards my bike. I was trying hard to control my Tsunami like laughter. On the other side, the engineer within me took a sigh of relief.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's always so good to read your blog Sandeep. Waiting for you to write more in your lovely words ☺️

Purvi said...

Your Sense of humor rocks!
Too good!